Need a hand getting on and off our trains?
We can provide help with boarding and alighting from trains, including the use of a platform to train ramp. If you are unfamiliar with the access of our trains or stations you plan to use, or would like more information on the types of assistance we can provide, please contact the Assisted Travel Team at least 24 hours before your trip.
The majority of Gatwick Express services are provided by new Class 387/2 'Electrostar' trains. These trains feature double doors and accessible toilet facilities. Mobility scooters are accepted onto these services with the usual size restrictions of 700mm wide and 1200mm long.
A small number of Gatwick Express services use Class 442 express trains.
Class 442 express trains
These trains are accessible, however, please note the following restrictions:
- Single door opening with a maximum width of 700mm
- Maximum width of a wheelchair that can be accepted is 695mm, restricted by the available ramp width
- Mobility scooters are accepted onto these services with size restrictions of 500mm wide and 950mm long. This is due to the door width, ramp gradient from platform to train and the turning circle available on board.
- Single door opening to the accessible toilet which may restrict some users
- Gradient of platform to train ramp may be steeper at certain points on the platforms
If you believe you will not be able to travel on the class 442 trains there are many other trains that you will be able to board, providing you with a quick link between Gatwick and Victoria. These alternative services are operated by 377 'Electrostars' that can accommodate Mobility scooters with the usual size restrictions of 700mm wide and 1200mm long.
If you have concerns about your travel plans please contact our assisted travel team on 0800 1381016 who will be able to advise the best options for you.
Assisted Travel Telephone: 0800 138 1016
Assisted Travel Fax: 0800 138 1017
Assisted Travel Minicom/Textphone: 0800 138 1018