Delay Repay compensation
Delay Repay compensation
If your train journey has been delayed by 15 minutes or more (except when delays are caused by planned engineering work), we will compensate you under our Delay Repay scheme.
You will find details of the scheme outlined in our new Passenger's Charter which is available at all our staffed stations or online on the Passenger's Charter page.
Delay Repay 15
Delays of 15 - 29 minutes can only be claimed for from 11th December 2016 onwards
How to claim
You must apply within 28 days of your delay either online or by post.
Applying online is quick, easy to do and you can create an online account so that your details will be stored for your future convenience.
What you'll need
You will need to provide proof of travel. This will vary according to your ticket format:
- Your original ticket
- The ticket receipt (if you no longer have your ticket)
- A scan or photograph of your season ticket and photocard
The key smartcard:
- Key smartcard number (found on the front of your smartcard)
- If you have a smartcard issued by another train company, please provide the card number and the receipt/booking confirmation showing details of the ticket(s) held on your smartcard
Oyster and contactless:
- Oyster season ticket: a receipt showing the date of purchase, the price you paid and the zones covered by your Oyster card
- Oyster pay as you go or contactless payment: a print-out showing where you touched in and out and the cost of your journey
If your card is registered, you can obtain a statement by visiting tfl.gov.uk.
What are you entitled to?
Levels of compensation
Season ticket holders (weekly or longer)
To calculate the compensation value of each journey, we divide the cost of your season ticket by 464; other period tickets are calculated pro-rata on the same basis.
- an annual season ticket covers 464 single journeys
- a six-monthly season ticket covers 240 single journeys
- a quarterly season ticket covers 120 single journeys
- a monthly season ticket covers 40 single journeys
- a weekly season ticket covers 10 single journeys
If you're delayed by:
- 15-29 minutes you're entitled to 25% of the cost of a single journey
- 30-59 minutes you're entitled to 50% of the cost of a single journey
- 60-119 minutes you're entitled to 100% of the cost of a single journey
- 120+ minutes you're entitled to 100% of the cost of a return journey (a full day’s travel)
Please see our Passenger's Charter for more information.
Day ticket holders
If you're delayed by:
- 15-29 minutes you're entitled to at least 25% of the single fare paid, or for a return ticket at least 25% of the fare paid for the affected portion
- 30-59 minutes you're entitled to at least 50% of the single fare paid, or for a return ticket at least 50% of the fare paid for the affected portion
- 60-119 minutes you're entitled to 100% of the single fare paid, or for a return ticket at least 100% of the fare paid for the affected portion
- 120+ minutes you're entitled to 100% of the cost of the fare paid whether it was for a single or return journey*
* If you are delayed by 2 hours or more between London Victoria or Gatwick Airport in either direction and you held a daily ticket, we’ll compensate you to the full value of the ticket held plus an additional 50% of the ticket cost. This applies to holders of daily tickets valid on the Gatwick Express for journeys between London Victoria and Gatwick Airport only.
Method of compensation
Your statutory rights are to receive your compensation in the same way you paid for your ticket. The full range of repayment options are available through the online form.
• Electronic bank transfer (BACS)
• E-voucher (you must have an online account with us)
• PayPal (you must have a paypal account)
• Visa debit/credit card
• Cashable National Rail Vouchers
Owing to a technical problem we are currently unable to process repayments onto a Mastercard. We will restore this option as quickly as possible.
National Rail Vouchers can also be used to purchase most train tickets. If the vouchers have been issued by us, they may be exchanged for cash at the any Gatwick Express, Great Northern, Southern or Thameslink ticket office. Vouchers issues by other train companies cannot be exchanged for cash at our stations.
Our online form is the most secure way for us to receive your payment details and therefore offers the most payment options. We cannot accept financial information by post so the repayment options are more limited.
If you are a Season Ticket holder, you may be entitled to claim enhanced compensation. Enhanced compensation may be available if your train is delayed by 30 minutes or longer for 12 days or more in a reporting period.
To apply by post, please download a claim form.
Delay Repay claim form (pdf)
Once you’ve completed the form, please send it to us at:
Govia Thameslink Railway
We aim to respond to your claim within 20 working days.
All claims are checked and verified. Gatwick Express reserves the right to prosecute fraudulent claimants. Claims must be made by the person who experienced the delay except under mitigating circumstances.
We’ve been working hard to offer a range of repayment methods for Delay Repay. Some of these payment methods will fail if you do not provide accurate information. Here are some top tips to avoid a failed payment:
• If you select BACS payment, double check that the sort code and account number you supply are correct and it is for the account you want the payment to go into
• If you select PayPal, you must have a PayPal account and you must check that the email address you supply at the payment method stage of the claim is valid and relates to your PayPal account
• If you opt for a cashable voucher or cheque, please make sure the address you provide is correct and up to date
In the event that one of the electronic payment methods fail, we will write to you and send a cashable national rail voucher instead.
Got more questions?
Our policy does not affect your legal rights. For more information about your legal rights please contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau or Trading Standards office.