Has a delayed Gatwick Express service made you late? You can claim Delay Repay compensation if you’re delayed by 15 minutes or more.
What is Delay Repay?
Delay Repay is a national scheme that train companies use to compensate you for unexpected delays and cancellations.
You’re entitled to compensation for any delay or cancellation that causes you to arrive 15 minutes or more behind schedule, except where delays have been caused by planned engineering works.
How to claim Delay Repay
You need to apply for compensation online or by post within 28 days of your delayed journey. We’ll respond to your claim within 20 working days.
To complete the online or printed form, you’ll need proof of travel. Valid proof of travel depends on what type of ticket you have.
- Your original ticket
- A ticket receipt, if you no longer have your ticket
- A scan or photograph of your season ticket and photocard
Oyster pay as you go or contactless payment
- A printout showing where you touched in and out and the cost of your journey
- You can get detailed information about your Oyster and contactless journeys from your account page on the TfL website.
If you’re claiming by post, send your form to:
Freepost SOUTHERN RTGL-ELXC-HAUU
Govia Thameslink Railway
Please note that each individual traveller must submit their own delay repay claim (unless it is for a child or under mitigating circumstances - more information here). If you submit multiple claims for the same journey these will be declined and will add a delay to you receiving any compensation due.
All claims are checked and verified. Gatwick Express reserves the right to prosecute fraudulent claimants. Claims must be made by the person who experienced the delay except under mitigating circumstances.
Questions about Delay Repay?Contact us by phone on 0345 850 1530 between 07:00 and 22:00.
What are you entitled to?
If you have a season ticket…
We’ll calculate your compensation by working out the value of each single journey your ticket covers:
- an annual season ticket covers 464 single journeys
- a six-monthly season ticket covers 240 single journeys
- a quarterly season ticket covers 120 single journeys
- a monthly season ticket covers 40 single journeys
- a weekly season ticket covers 10 single journeys
So if you're delayed by:
- 15-29 minutes you're entitled to 25% of the cost of a single journey
- 30-59 minutes you're entitled to 50% of the cost of a single journey
- 60-119 minutes you're entitled to 100% of the cost of a single journey
- 120+ minutes you're entitled to 100% of the cost of a return journey
If your commute has been consistently delayed by over 30 minutes, you may be entitled to enhanced compensation.
If you have a day ticket…
You’re owed the following compensation if you’re delayed by:
- 15-29 minutes you're entitled to at least 25% of the single fare paid. Or, if you bought a return ticket, at least 25% of the fare paid for the affected portion
- 30-59 minutes you're entitled to at least 50% of the single fare paid. Or, if you bought a return ticket, at least 50% of the fare paid for the affected portion
- 60-119 minutes you're entitled to 100% of the single fare paid. Or, if you bought a return ticket, at least 50% of the fare paid
- 120+ minutes you're entitled to 100% of the cost of the fare paid whether it was for a single or return journey.
Also, if you are delayed by 2 hours or more between London Victoria and Gatwick Airport in either direction and you had a daily ticket, we’ll compensate you to the full cost of the ticket plus an extra 50%. This only applies to journeys on the Gatwick Express between London Victoria and Gatwick Airport.
How we'll compensate you
It’s your right to receive your compensation in the same way you paid for your ticket. The full range of repayment options available through the online claim form is:
- Amazon account balance (you must have an Amazon account)
- Electronic bank transfer (BACS)
- E-voucher (you must have an online account with us)
- PayPal (you must have a PayPal account)
- Credit or debit card (we are currently unable to process Mastercard and AMEX repayments)
- National Rail vouchers (cashable)
The online form is the most secure way for us to receive your payment details. We can’t accept financial information by post, so the repayment options are more limited.
We now offer compensation payment to your Amazon account. Select Amazon account balance in the repayment options and sign in to your account. To do so login and grant access using your amazon email address. You have the option to associate these details with your Gatwick Express account to speed up this process in future. Once your claim is processed we will reimburse your Delay Repay claim directly into your Amazon account balance.
National Rail vouchers can be used as payment (or part payment) towards any National Rail ticket, including season tickets. You can also exchange National Rail vouchers for cash at any Gatwick Express, Great Northern, Southern or Thameslink ticket office, as long as they were issued by one of these four train companies.
National Rail vouchers and E-vouchers are valid for 12 months.